FAQ Search Register Login

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Have You Ever....
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm 
Knight Captain

Yes, years ago when I was in my stupid mode. I was in an old 1974 Ford LTD - land yacht - when it broke down going over Vail Pass in Colorado. I ended up hitching a ride into Denver with a trucker to get a new water pump then hitched a ride back up the pass to put it in myself. My husband was of no help. He said it couldn't be done but I proved him wrong and got us, eventually, back home to the Denver area.

Have you ever sunbathed on a glacier or been skiing in a swim suit?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:16 pm 
Knight Captain

No, that sounds really, really, REALLY cold.

Have you ever wondered if the people coming up with the "Have you ever..." questions actually did those things?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 pm 
Knight Captain

Yes! Really makes you wonder about some of the comments. It can be very insightful or very frightening!

Considering that this is the last day of school, at least for our kids here in Arizona, have you ever been part of a school prank that could have gotten you in serious trouble and, if so, how did you get out of it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:31 pm 
Regent

Nope. I was the perpetual "good girl".

But you need to tell about the backhoe, cops and Big Boy, Cat...
Everyone, hound her to tell the story!!!!

Have you ever "lost" a pet, worried sick that they were gone forever, then found them locked in a closet a few hours later?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:53 am 
Regent

Nope, although once lost a pet, thought it was gone forever, then found I was right when I discovered it after much searching in a less than alive state.

Did once misplace my baby sister though (I am twelve years older than she is, so she forever remains my baby sister), when she was all of three years old, vanished from Mother's sight for all of a minute, then could not be found.

We looked all over the farm and surrounding area, called her name several thousand times, were debating some more drastic measures, when she woke up from her nap in the tractor tire half buried in front of the house (the tire was sunk half into the ground next to the sandbox and was quite handy for climbing on or through). She had seen the tire, climbed inside it, and had fallen asleep, and was quite vocal that she had obeyed the rules and not gone outside the house yard.

Have you ever spent a night (or a day for that matter) doing something so radically outside your norm that when it was over, you literally could not get your mind around it enough to think about it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:22 pm 
Knight Captain

Oooo, Xerius that is an interesting question. As a matter of fact, this question chimes right in with the story that Lenore wants me to share. I, like her, was a very reserved child and never got into trouble until one night with a group of friends from high school enacting revenge on a rival school’s territory. When the entire incident unfolded as the headline on the local newspaper the next day, I could not believe I was involved in such a thing. It took several years before I told anyone about it for fear the police were still looking for the culprits.

We had a main drag through town that divided school zones with two rival football teams. There was a Big Boy Restaurant on the rival team’s side of the street. A group of friends that I hung around with got the genius idea to kidnap Big Boy since the other school had kidnapped our mascot a couple years prior.

The group was broken into Special Forces teams and the plan launched into action. The night before the big game, a couple of the guys hit a construction zone near our school, hot-wired a backhoe, drove it to the high school football field, and proceeded to dig a BIG hole. (I still can’t understand how they did not wake the entire neighborhood. Later people in the area said they heard the machinery but stacked it up to the city trying to catch up on street repairs.)

While our boys were digging like terriers for bones, the rest of us donned coveralls and loaded into our friend’s heavy duty truck with a wrecking crane (his dad’s work truck). This particular friend looked several years older than his actual age and had a thick, dark beard, adding to the disguise. His nickname was Brewmaster – need I say more.

We pulled into the Big Boy Restaurant like we owned the place. Brewmaster jumped out of the truck and the rest of us followed. He proceeded to unbolt the fourteen foot statue of Big Boy holding a hamburger high over his head. As we were unscrewing the final bolt and hoisting Big Boy by his buns onto the wrecker, lights started flashing all around us. Uh, oh, now what do we do? Without a skip, Brewmaster told the officer we were part of the Big Boy Restoration crew and were taking him in for a new paint job. The officer (a rookie) bought it. He got back in his car, scratching his head, and left. We anchored Big Boy and took the back streets all the way to the high school parking lot. Before dawn, our job was complete.

The next day, my dad brought in the newspaper, as usual. Across the front page was a photo of Big Boy buried in the high school football field up to the top of his hat. All you could clearly see was his bun sticking out of the soil like an offering to the juvenile gods of Prankdom. As my dad astounded over what ornery little hooligans could have done something like that, I was mumbling under my breath about the idiots not digging the hole deep enough!

Those of us that remember, still laugh over the Big Boy Heist that almost landed eight of us in jail and baffled our community for some time. No, they never figured out who was to blame, although they promised to seek out the culprits. As time passed, we concluded the cop that stopped us didn’t want to admit that he walked away from that situation, so he never told, either. Years later, I confessed to my parents and we all had a good laugh but I’m sure they would not have been laughing without the proper aging. Just like a fine wine, capers such as these in youth, need the time to mellow the memories of all involved. Then, and only then, can the laughter override anger and bitterness.

After thirty years, it is still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I was involved in that deed. Once in a while, I run into someone from that area that remembers the heist. People are always shocked that I would ever have been involved in something like that. You would be surprised what people are capable of when they are caught up in the heat of the moment.

Other than the occasional mouse or baby bird, have you ever been gifted by one of your pets (dog or cat) only to have them fight you to get it away from them?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 pm 
Knight Captain

No, I haven't, but Lenore almost got a lizard given to her by our Dusty cat. Ask Cat about the story, for she was there.

I am posting this from my PERSONAL computer my dad gave me 4 Christmas's ago. I've repeatedly asked him if I could ever bring it home and he would say, in not so many words, "I gave you this computer, but it has to stay here and you can't have it." So today, I snuck it out of his house, and let me tell you, my heart was beating a million miles an hour the entire 30-45 minute drive home. He has no clue that I took it.
I'm going to be 18; he needs to realize that I'm not a little girl anymore.

On that note, have you ever taken something and hoped to God that you would never be caught?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:56 pm 
Goddess

Once or twice. I was a "good girl" like Cat & Lenore, lol. Case in point: the first larcenous offence I can remember (I was maybe 6 or 7 years old) involved me snatching some ripe cherry tomatoes from our neighbor's garden. I didn't get caught but later that day I confessed, crying, to my mom. I apologized to the neighbors shortly thereafter. I would make a terrible criminal :P Although there was another instance, in my college days, of stealing lawn ornaments and placing them at odd sites around town, but I was merely an accessory to that. And it's nowhere near the badassery of Cat's prank. OMG. (And yes, I confess I Googled to see if I could find an archived version of the story...)

On a related note then: Have you ever had to publicly apologize for something you didn't do?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:52 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I'm not sure how public it was, but I did have to apologize to my teacher for "drawing dirty pictures" in class.

Like the rest of the gals here, I was a "good girl" and never got into trouble...homework always done, always on time to school, was teacher's pet in a number of classes, and so on. I was also mentally at least one grade ahead of my class, although I was the same physical age. Consequently, I usually finished my work in class early and then had time on my hands. I did like to doodle and came up with fanciful cartoons that others had trouble deciphering. My teacher (a nut case, if there ever was one) came up behind me while I was doing this one day and confiscated my pictures. She sent a note home to my mom, saying she needed to meet with her, that I had been drawing dirty pictures in class.

Needless to say, at 8 years old, I didn't have a clue what a dirty picture was. It certainly wasn't what I was drawing. I reproduced it as best I could for my mom, and, knowing me pretty well, she agreed that I hadn't drawn any dirty pictures. However, Mom insisted that I go and apologize to my teacher anyway for wasting my time and the classes by doing something other than school work in class.

I tried to explain that I had finished my work and had even worked well into the next assignment before turning my attention to my doodling. That wasn't even considered an excuse. I, feeling resentful and like I was being punished unfairly, had to apologize. I got tons of extra homework for my sentence.

Vindication came eventually. The teacher had a nervous breakdown and had to quit teaching (one has to wonder where her mind was to proclaim my doodling as dirty pictures). I, on the other hand, was recommended to skip Grade 4 and go right to Grade 5...which I did. It wasn't quite so boring after that. :)

Have you ever been able to block out (most of) the pain during a painful medical procedure just with your mind and your thoughts?

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 pm 
Regent

No. I'm a wimp. However, I was able to push the pain aside after the epidural wore off, and gave birth to Menagerie.

Have you ever gotten into your car and just drove for the sake of driving, not caring where you ended up?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:43 pm 
Regent

Yep, which was generally a bad idea, since I ended up in Toronto (thirty two hour drive east of here).

I could not think of anything I particularly wanted to do there though, so I drove back to Waterloo (an hour drive), spent two nights and a day there, then drove home.

Have you ever finished a particularly difficult task, then realized you had misplaced the entire day and had forgotten to eat for the entirety of the day?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm 
Knight Captain

No, I don't think I have. I always make sure to eat, even when I'm engrossed with something.

Have you ever been afraid to fall asleep?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 am 
Castellan

Yes. It hasn't happened in some time, but I do happen to have a great imagination. Add a dash of horror story to that, and . . . I quit reading and/or watching horror. One of the worst times was while I was dating my then-boyfriend-now-husband. We watched something I was particularly scared by and drug him to the bathroom, so I could pee without being alone.

Have you ever been afraid of being alone?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:26 pm 
Knight Captain

Yeah, I absolutely hate being alone in a quiet room. I just get this feeling that something is going to come out of no where and get me. My ears then start ringing and I can't even hear myself think. Then, the dark side of my thoughts come out and make themselves know.... *shudders*

On a different note, have you ever got into bed and laid there, only to then blink and it's morning?
Let's make this a little better to understand. I remember one night, I wasn't tired, so I laid propped up on my arms, waiting for sleep to take ahold of me. I blinked and in that blink, it was morning and I was still in the same position, and boy was I stiff! It took me a half hour to get out of that spot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:33 am 
Regent

Yep. And you still wake up groggy.

Have you ever pushed the numbers on your phone, 3-2-1-2-3-3-3-2-2-2-3-9-9-3-2-1-2-3-3-3-3-2-2-3-2-1 then start singing "Mary Had A Little Lamb"?

Then, how many of you are going to try this to see if it works? :D